My Sisters Keeper


I watched the news today and was brought to tears.  I listened to a sister cry out for justice.  I watched tears roll down her face.  She will never hold her sister again.  She will never be able to tell her the secrets only sisters can share.

I joined the military at nineteen years old.  I thought I knew everything, couldn't be taught anything and no one could touch me.  I thought I'll handle anything that comes at me.  I grew up on the streets of Indianapolis, Indiana.  I learned how to take care of myself in tough situations. 

I have heard of so many stories of women and men being harassed and taken advantage of in the military and I am saddened because if you wear this uniform, it is your sacred duty to protect and defend.  I realize we are human beings, but we are held to a higher set of standards.

How are our leaders not paying attention to what is going on and taking care of it before it becomes a problem?

Do you know that these people exhibit certain personality traits and you will often find others who say they saw things happening and didn't report it?

I'm saddened that a life is gone from this earth because someone decided their life, their feelings were more important at that moment.

How many other men and women are going to be harassed before people realize, their power by their position, gives them nothing other than more money when it comes to human rights!

I am my sister's keeper, she is in the picture with me.  I am blessed she didn't serve.  I did and I am all my sisters in arms keeper.  If you ever need to talk, need someone to help, I will always be here.  

I retired in 2017, but once you put on that uniform, you never truly take it off.  I will always protect and defend.  Until I take my last breath on this earth, I will stand firm.

Vanessa, I pray for you dear sweet girl.  I pray that your soul is with our Lord now and that you can rest peacefully now.  No one will ever harm you again, you will never have to be afraid.  Let us carry on your fight for justice.  I pray that God wraps your family in his arms and gives them strength.  They will need it now, but they will forever have you watching over them as the amazing soldier you are.

#Iamvanessaguillen

Comments

Popular Posts